Friday, 21 January 2011

Basketballer from Austria shoots for Cambodian national team


via CAAI

Friday, 21 January 2011 15:00 Ken Gadaffi

Austrian-based Cambodian basketball player Steffan Doll-Therro Sao arrives in Phnom Penh this weekend in an attempt to break into the national team ahead of the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia.

Dolli, as his friends call him, currently plays for Neustadt team FCN Baskets in the Austrian 1st Division and said he would relish the opportunity to represent his fatherland in international competitions.

“It will be great for me to come back and play for my country,” said the Austrian born 29-year-old, who plays as a guard.

Sao is hoping to impress national team selectors while on a vacation to the Kingdom, where he will also help his parents provide wells for the less privileged in the provinces.

He plans to spend three weeks in Cambodia before returning to Austria, where he hopes to sign a new deal for newly promoted side Vorchdorf Giants.

“I have been playing team league for 16 years, and I am really hoping I can represent my country one day,” he stated.

“I heard about the SEA Games and I have been told that basketball will be staged this time around [after being pulled at the 2009 tournament in Laos]. I am so excited, and I hope to meet the national team selectors to see if they consider me good enough,” added the 1.79-metre tall prospect.

Meanwhile, national team coach Austin Koledoye said that the basketball camp is open for all Cambodians, home and abroad, who can prove themselves on the court.

“We are not shutting the doors to any player. We welcome any one who can make the team stronger,” he said.

No comments: